IMRC Equipment Room Rental Policies:
- To rent IMRC equipment, users must sign up for a free IMRC account at www.imrcacounts.com. New Accounts have a minimum start up deposit of $30. This deposit is designed to cover the cost of late equipment fees or it can be used to pay for consumables and time on our various machines / equipment in the IMRC fab labs, but is otherwise non-refundable. Additional funds can be added to accounts in increments of $20. A minimum of $20 must be in your account to access IMRC equipment rentals. All fees need to be paid to IMRC fab lab manager Sean Taylor by cash or check in IMRC room #111. FYI, there is an ATM in the lobby of the New Balance health center.
- As a priority, all equipment is available for use for New Media & Intermedia students, as well as non-student IMRC community members . All other University students will be considered based on need and availability. Please contact us via our general contact form on our website if you have a project that you’d like us to consider.
- All equipment rentals for commercial / paid work must pay the equipment rental fees. If it is discovered that equipment checked out for student or faculty projects is being used for commercial work, that student or faculty member risks losing access to future equipment loans / rentals. We want to support entrepreneurial use, but the equipment is primarily for student and community member use. Therefore, commercial use must be paid for.
- For undergraduate students to gain access to the RED camera system, they must:
- Pass year in Film 1 & 2 and Pass our equipment room camera test
- For undergraduate students to gain access to the Black Magic or Canon 5D cameras, they must:
- Pass year in Film 1 and Pass our equipment room camera test
- Graduate students can get access to level 3 equipment by taking our Black Magic, Macbook Pro & Canon 5D workshops offered throughout the year or by also taking Year in Film 1 & 2 and passing our equipment room gear tests.
- For undergraduate or graduate students to gain access to the IMRC Drone, they must take a training workshop with Gene A. Felice II and pass our equipment room drone test.
- Tech closet employees will erase all memory cards / drives and charge all batteries for equipment. However it is greatly appreciated when students and faculty return equipment charged and erased as it speeds up the process of getting equipment ready for the next person.
- Every piece of equipment must have a reservation in the IMRC accounts system before it can leave the equipment room, so that we are aware of it’s location at all times. The tech closet employee will check all equipment and accessories (cards, batteries, etc.) before it leaves and before the student / faculty finalizes the return of equipment.
- All kits should be returned in it’s original condition and with everything that it left with (also marked on each kits equipment list located in it’s case.)
- Absolutely no handing off of equipment from one person to another without checking in and checking out of the equipment closet. If a person with loaned equipment hands off equipment to another person, the original person that checked out equipment is still responsible for said equipment.
Late Equipment Policy:
- 3-Day Rental Policy: Monday-Friday equipment must be returned within 3 days / 36 hours. However, rentals taken out on Wednesday or Thursday must be returned by Friday. Rentals taken out on Friday must be returned by Monday.
- Equipment can be picked up between 12 and 1pm Monday through Friday. Equipment can be dropped off between 2 and 3pm Monday through Friday. Equipment will be cleaned and updated each day between 1 and 2pm, which is also a good time to stop by and ask questions of our IMRC equipment room staff.
- Late returns within 24 hours will result in a $10 fee for each day that it is late.
- Late returns longer than 2 days will result in loss of access to the equipment room for 1 week. Late returns longer than 3 days will result in loss of access to the equipment room for 1 semester. Late returns longer than 4 days will result in permanent loss of access to the equipment room.
- If you are late with equipment more than twice you will lose access to the equipment room for the rest of the semester. If equipment is late more than three times it will result in permanent loss of access to the equipment room.
- All issues around access are to be directed to the IMRC Director (Gene A. Felice II) via our general IMRC contact form, not directed towards our tech closet employees.
If damage or loss of equipment occurs, the user is monetarily responsible for the cost of repair or replacement, to be determined by the IMRC Center director. All access to IMRC equipments and labs will be suspended indefinitely until a plan to pay for the damage or replacement is agreed upon with the IMRC director.